Valparaiso Art FestivalArtist Information
APPLY ON JURIED ART SERVICES – Coming Soon!
ARTISTS, CLICK TO BUY PRO PASS
This juried art festival is being promoted through Valparaiso, Indiana and Amdur Productions.
Valparaiso is located about an hour south of Chicago and about 40 minutes from Michigan City. Valparaiso has a population of over 33,000.
Festival Quick Facts
- Good for newbies
*Dates and details subject to change
- All artwork submitted to jury, displayed and presented for sale at festivals must be created, designed and made or made under the direct supervision of the accepted artist(s). All artwork shown must be for sale.
- An artist may apply in more than one category, but not twice in the same category.
- Jewelry created through fabrication and casting is allowed if the original casts are made by the artist.
- No commercial casts/molds allowed in production.
- No factory produced items allowed.
- Photography/Digital art: Original work made by the hands of the photographer is allowed. Only one size of an image may be hung in a booth. All printing of images must be done by the photographer or under their direct supervision.
- Artists must create their work from start to finish.
- The Artist certifies that jury images submitted represent their current original work and represent the category and body of art that will be displayed at the festival.
- Art collaborators (up to two artists in total) producing a single item qualify as an exhibitor. A collaborator is not an employee or helper. If artists enter as a collaboration, it must be clearly noted on the application and art shown must be signed by both.
- No work made solely by apprentices or employees is allowed. All artwork must be made in the country the artist resides in.
- “Buy/sell” items are strictly prohibited from all or part of an artist’s booth. Buy/Sell is any art or object that is purchased from a manufacturer or maker other than the artist and sold at a festival as “original” work. The restriction of buy/sell work is in ALL categories of art at ALL shows.
- Multiples: Limited editions of work in which the artist hand manipulates plates, stones, or screens numbered and signed in editions up to 500 are allowed and are an artist’s original body of work. Reproductions by mechanical techniques including “giclee” and “iris” prints must be signed and numbered (up to 500). Artists may display reproductions on up to 10 linear feet of their booth, and at the Port Clinton Art Festival in a single bin only.
- Only artwork in the category accepted through the jury process is allowed. It is the exclusive right of the Festival Committee to direct removal of work at the show that is not in compliance with festival rules. Non-complying artists will be asked to leave the show immediately and no refund will be given.
- Each exhibitor is responsible to collecting and remitting local sales tax to the State’s Department of Revenue as required by law.
Reproduction and Limited Edition Prints Policy
Fine art reproductions must be clearly and individually labeled as a limited edition which is signed and numbered on the front of each piece. The method of reproduction and brief process description must be on the back. Browse bins may be used, but reproductions may not be mixed with originals. Framed reproductions may be hung on one wall not to exceed a total of ten linear feet. No laser prints or photo copies permitted.
Limited Edition Prints are printed works for which the artist hand manipulates the plates, stones or screens and which have been properly signed and numbered as a limited edition. These hand pulled prints are considered to be originals. Printmakers are encouraged to identify their process.
Wait List Policy
A wait list is selected from the jury’s scores in each category, and wait listed artists are invited into the show as cancellations occur in that particular category. Wait list artists can resubmit art images and/or a booth image for reconsideration on their overall jury score. Wait list artists can be accepted up to and on the day of the show and will be notified by phone and/or email when a booth becomes available.
We at Amdur Productions, as the rest of the world are watching the Coronavirus, COVID-19, situation very carefully, with our primary concern being the safety and well being of the artists, sponsors, public and staff involved with our festivals. In the event a festival is officially cancelled by the municipality where the festival is to take place, or by Amdur Productions, due to health concerns attributable to the Coronavirus, COVID-19, artists’ space fees already paid to Amdur Productions, Inc. for that event will be 100 % refunded, less the credit card processing fees and a $10 handling fee.
Cancellations must be made in written form and submitted by mail, fax, or email. Emails should be sent to the Director of Artist Relations, Caitlin, at: [email protected].
By applying to this festival, I hereby certify that these images represent my original work, and that the work is unique and made by me. I also agree to follow all festival rules as outlined in the prospectus. In partnership situations, we declare that our combined efforts made every individual piece of work we would exhibit, if accepted. I/We also agree to allow images of my/our work to be used in publicity and or materials.
Jury and Selection Process
The artistic work submitted by each artist is juried based on the criteria listed below:
- Body of Work: How well the images represent a point of view
- Artistic Theme: design, vision, creativity
- Technical Competence: technique, skill, degree of difficulty, mastery of materials used
Categories – All artists must apply to a category
- 2D – Original two-dimensional work including graphite, charcoal, chalk, pastels, wax crayon, inks, and washes. All work must be framed and/or presented in a finished format. 2D Artists must show work vertically in your booth. Matted work must be shown in bins only.
- 3D Functional – Dimensional work that has a function – such as wearable fiber or wood furniture.
- 3D Non Functional – Art that serves an aesthetic not functional purpose. Generally “sculptures.”
- Painting – Original, two-dimensional work created with pigment, including oils, acrylics, watercolor, egg tempura, etc.
- Photography – Signed prints created by the artist from his/her own original negative or digital files that have been “taken” and processed by that artist or under the artist’s direct supervision.
- Jewelry – No buy/sell or buy/sell fill-in allowed.
Sub-categories – All artists must select a sub-category
- Ceramics – Original shaped and fired clay (including earthenware, porcelain, stoneware and terracotta)
- Fiber – Original work created by the artist from fibers/fabric or leather including batik, basketry, weaving, and quilt-making. No factory produced items are permitted.
- Furniture – Original work in any material which is functional as a piece of functional furniture or home accessory.
- Glass – Original work created in glass by the artist including blown glass, fused glass or stained glass.
- Print Making – Prints manually created by the artist using plates, stones or screens which have been signed and numbered.
- Metal – Original work created by the artist without use of a production studio.
- Mixed Media – Includes collage and handmade paper; incorporates more than one type of material. Generally flat, wall hung art.
- Wood – Original hand-tooled, machine worked, built-up, turned or carved work in wood.
- Acrylic Paint – Applied to a surface in any way
- Acrylic Resin – Applied to a surface in any way
- Batik – Technique used on fabric
- Collage – Variety of materials applied to a surface
- Drawing – Charcoal, graphite, and color pencils applied to a surface
- Egg Tempera – Applied to a surface in any way
- Gold and/or Silver – Precious metal or precious metal clay used in jewelry
- Leather – Primary material used
- Oil Paint – Applied to a surface in any way
- Paper – Hand made
- Pastel – Dry pigments applied to a surface
- Photo – Black & white, color, black and white & color, hand color, digital. Select the area the majority of your work is in
- Stone – Carved
- Watercolor – Applied in any way
- Other – If your category is not represented, you may add your own